Sunday 23 October 2011

Day 140, 2011/09/18

I spent the evening at a basic but acceptable hostel about 15 km from the center of Piacensa. At the hostel were a number of asylum seekers from Ghana. They have been at the hostel now for almost 4 months. That were migrant labourers who lived and worked in Libya. When war broke out, they managed to escape on a boat to the island of Lampedusa. They are now in the process of applying for permanent residence in Italy.
Apparently a very lengthy process. Shame not a good place to find one's self. Anyway, I have a long days riding ahead of me. I have to get to Strasbourg in France. My route will take to via the outskirts of Milan. To add salt to the wound, I have been told that the weather is to turn nasty today, with loads of cold, wet weather expected. Not fun on a motorcycle. I guess, after all that hot weather I have had in Sudan, this will make a pleasant change.
As it turns out, the weather forecase is spot on and the heavens opened up as I approached the outskirts of Milan. All I can say is, thank god it is Sunday, and there is almost no traffic to contend with. Trying to endure a cloud burst is difficult enough!!
At least the rain petered out and I only had to endure very cold weather. The weather in Switzerland was exceptionally cold, with temperature below 10 degrees.
The other downside of Switzerland was the sheer cost. Two sandwiches and an awful coffee, only set me back R200!!!! Thank god I do not plan to remain in Europe for too long, this is most certainly not contributing to keeping the budget in check!!!
I manage to arrive in Strasbourg towards the late afternoon after traveling via Lugano and Basel.
After settling into my hostel for the evening, I hit the sights and sounds of Strasbourg. For those who do not know, Strasbourg is the official seat for the European Parliament. In addition, they have one of the most amazing cathedrals that I have ever seen. Well worth a visit.



Day 140, 2011/09/18

No comments:

Post a Comment