Monday 3 October 2011

Day 123, 2011/09/01 Koper Slovinia to Monfalcone Italy

Well with the thoughts of finally arriving in Italy tomorrow and the fact that, they are loading 1600 cars on to the boat over night meant that, I got almost no sleep.
However, I have come accustomed to the fact that the night before a long ride into the unknown, I am bound to suffer from an over active mind.
I am up early and arrive on the top deck to discover that the entire thing is covered end to end with cars. All Chevy Sparks. If you see this sight, you wonder if the world is suffering from a financial downturn!
Eventually, we manage to depart from Koper and, even though the trip to Monfalcone is only 90 minutes, it feels like eternity. I must admit, 5 days on a cargo ship with not too many distractions to keep you occupied can make you very keen to get back onto land and civilization. If the ship voyage felt like eternity, it was nothing like the wait for the customs officials to give their go ahead. And after eventually double checking that I did not need any formal documentation to import my motorcycle into Italy/EU I hit the road. It was already midday, and even though the GPS said it was only 250 km to Cinte Tesino, I knew I needed to make headway. There was however a problem, I did not have 3rd party insurance. My dad has supplied me with 3rd party insurance details however, I decide to take the chance and ride without it, and sort it out once I am in Cinte Tesino.
Not a bright thing to do, considering that it is very illegal thing to do and that if caught, they will impound my motorcycle.
The initially 200 odd kms are all on amazing Auto Strada/Motorway, and I am able to absorb the fact that I am finally in Europe. It take a while to sink in that after loads of effort I have finally achieved and accomplished another major goal on my trip.
However, the celebration will have to wait until later, when I arrive in Cinte since I have to still come to terms with navigating in Europe with my GPS. Since I have not voice prompts, and am dependent on the screen for all navigation it is not long before I make a number of wrong turns. One soo bad that, I am forced to do a U turn on the freeway. Yes!! I did, in a country where U turns on a freeway are strictly prohibited!! Well, when you are lost you will do anything I guess.
Eventually I familiarize myself with how to navigate using my GPS in Italy, and then things start to feel a lot better.
The GPS routes me a different route to which I am use to. I am so accustomed to traveling via the Valsugana that, when the GPS routes me via Feltre and Roa, I feel that something is not all kosher. However, after double checking I eventually put my trust into my GPS and allow it to route me the way it wants.
The route actually turns out to spectacular. The valleys I ride through, are flanked by the Dolomite mountains. The grey of the rocks, and the green of the vegetation make an amazing contrast.
The final 15 odd km is via a place called Roa, and the road is extremely narrow in places with some hair pin bends that bend back upon themselves. Really spectacular however, when you tired and have a fully laden bike, it can be very nerve racking.
However, nothing like just riding slowly and safely, and finally I manage to arrive at Castello Tesino, the larger of the three towns from which my Dad comes from. From Castello, I am able to see Cinte which, is located on the other side of the Gringo valley. After a taking a couple of pics, I decide to ride the last couple of kilometers to Cinte. On arrival, I find my father who is very happy to see that I have finally arrived safe and sound.


Day 123, 2011/09/01

No comments:

Post a Comment